Sunday, April 5, 2009

hmmm....being a Walsh

I never worried too much, growing up, about being a "Walsh." Mainly cause I considered that the kiss of death. Seriously.Who wanted to be a "Walsh"? Nobody I knew. And certainly no-one in their right mind. But then I got married to this amazing woman who made me examine every aspect of my life. Luckily she's still a friend. And I learned. And I grew. And I still did baby shit. Just, hopefully, less frequently. And I took some blows. I lost a sister.I lost my best friend.I went bankrupt. I received the gift of two amazing daughters who actually let me into their lives. I wanted to make sure it wasn't all --this, my life -- unexamined.
The point is....I became comfortable as a "Walsh." I began to see a certain strength and laughter there. I got a chance to build a school and do the work I truly love. I found a sister. Had another great relationship -- although it didn't work either. Never mind. One will. Got to continue to be a presence in my girls lives. Still had my best friend.
And continue to examine what being a "Walsh" means. I'm just ok with being one now.

No comments: